Monday, November 10, 2008

Molly Ivins Called It

"You know, that young man could be president some day."

This is what the late Texas liberal said of Barack Obama at the 2004 DNC, where he burst onto the national scene.

I had not really gotten into politics by then, and I never really appreciated Molly Ivins while she was alive. However, since I have caught the political bug, I have read quite a bit of what she wrote, and I am saddened that she did not live to see what transpired Tuesday night.

Since she's no longer around to comment on history being made, here is a collection of some of my favorite Molly Ivins quotes:

Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention.
God, we should have listened.

We always said that if Hollywood ever needed somebody to play the role of God Almighty, they ought to get Barbara Jordan.

That's from a PBS tribute to Barbara Jordan, shortly after her death in 1996:

What you need is sustained outrage...there's far too much unthinking respect given to authority.

How true.

Satire is traditionally the weapon of the powerless against the powerful. I only aim at the powerful. When satire is aimed at the powerless, it is not only cruel -- it's vulgar.

That's why I took so much pleasure in the mass mocking of Republicans this year. It was well deserved.

It is possible to read the history of this country as one long struggle to extend the liberties established in our Constitution to everyone in America.

It is my hope that "we the people" will one day include everyone. We have took a big step forward, as well as a step back this week.

Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory.

No joke.

We are the people who run this country. We are the deciders. And every single day, every single one of us needs to step outside and take some action to help stop this war. Raise hell. Think of something to make the ridiculous look ridiculous. Make our troops know we're for them and trying to get them out of there.

That's from the last column she wrote before she died in 2007.

I believe all Southern liberals come from the same starting point -- race. Once you figure out they are lying to you about race, you start to question everything.

I couldn't agree with this more. I always remember learning about black history in February, but it was a very watered down version. It was not until very recently that I started digging deeper for the truth. To all of you people who still sport the rebel flag, know this: the South has an ugly and shameful past. You might want to think twice about clinging so desperately to it.

In 2004, Molly Ivins's prediction of a President Obama may have been far-fetched, but on Tuesday, we made it happen. Honestly, I am still in awe of what has happened.

No comments: