Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Did

I just got back from watching history.

There will be time for analysis and criticism later. For now, I just want to reiterate how proud I am to be an American. As I watched Obama give his victory speech tonight, I couldn't help but feel that my future, all of our futures, had somehow depended on this election.

Looking at the crowd at Grant Park in Chicago was awe-inspiring. Actually, it was just inspiring. People of all ages, races, and ideologies gathered to watch history. As Obama thanked his supporters, I forgot all about the partisan sniping and attacks of the past few months. Obama praised John McCain as a great American, and I believed him. I decided that all of the complaints that I have about this election, the Republican Party, and politics in general could wait until tomorrow. I sincerely hope that we can all get behind Obama to make America, as my hero Barbara Jordan once put it, "as good as its promise."

There is one thing that cannot wait until tomorrow, however. I cannot abide the contined racism and fearmongering that some sore losers are still participating in. As the night progressed, and an Obama victory seemed inevitable, I began to get phone calls and text messages from people that I know who are small-minded bigots.

"I wonder if there might be an assassination attempt tonight," one wrote. Another, "Lol he is winning because of sympathy vote his mom died of cancer [sic]." One more, "I swear if Obama wins, someone is gonna hang him!!"

As much as listening to Obama speak tonight makes me feel like I should be better than stooping to the level of racist and ignorant people, I cannot emphasize strongly enough that this is unacceptable. I want to go on one of my usual foul-mouthed tirades, but I cannot. My only consolation is that one day, you people will burn in hell I saw tonight that there is still good in this country, and that if we work together, we can change things for the better.

No comments: